Thursday 26 April 2012

Toy Storage

Play room? Craft room?

One thing is for certain...as your baby grows into a toddler, so will the toy collection! Unless you are lucky enough to have a spacious house, you'll need to source additional storage solutions. There are plenty of products on the market, most of which however are targeted at children. Personally, I don't want to look at toys when the children are in bed. I like a clutter free space where I can relax without Lego, Thomas trains and jigsaw puzzles. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for mess and a creative environment for play during the day, but in the evening I want a living space that I can easily transform to an adult area for relaxation. The same applies in the bathroom. Who can relax in a candle-lit bubble bath when the Octonauts are staring at you? Instead of ugly plastic baby wash/shampoo bottles I decant into beautiful containers.


Having a small bathroom I've opted for a simple wicker storage box for bath toys which I've lined with a hand towel. You could line with a plastic binliner but I've found a towel perfectly adequate to catch any moisture.


I don't have the luxury of a play room but hopefully our next home will have space for one. Here are a few ideas for a play area.  I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about plastic toys (they are great to play with but not to look at). Beautiful wooden toys on the other hand can be shown off and displayed.


kid's playroom

Creation of different zones encourages crafting,
 floor play and reading.






Kid Art Work.

Keep artwork in one central place in the playroom. 


Would love a version of this when we have a playroom

This canvas is easily made at home. 

IKEA Hacks... bookshelf turned "window" seat.

This bookshelf can be made into a comfy seating and storage area.

Storage Jars.?

Zone an area of the room for crafting.   

This would be fabulous for the girls' room for school.  Sam could totally do this!

When planning a playroom consider how it will accomodate your child as he/she grows up.
         
Ikea Spice Racks

Forward facing book storage encourages pre-readers to pick up a book.
 These shelves are painted spice racks from Ikea!

                                                                                                                                                     
Hopefully you are inpsired to create an organised area for play and storage. You can add a bright or neutral palatte to suit your home and taste. 

If you like my blog please click `follow'.........Now, I'm off to have a baby anytime soon.

Thanks for looking!  Sarah.                                                      
    

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new arrival.

    Love all of these ideas, attempted zones with our playroom but not sure toddlers understand zoning yet!

    Will definitely be taking some ideas from here, I love the jars with chalkboard labels. Have been tempted to do some expedit up cycling along the lines of your bookcase/seating area but lacking the talent! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Clare, so pleased you like the ideas. Please send me a piccy of your jars if you have a go. Follow this blog if you want to keep in touch. Thanks for posting! Sarah x

      Delete